Millpac Injection & Extrusion Moulding Case Study | A Case Study
Granulator / Shredder Applications
News from around the global BEST network, case studies and thought pieces. Check back for the latest from BEST.
Who are Millpac and what do they do?
Millpac is a family owned company, specialising in injection and extrusion moulding. They process a variety
of materials, which include but are not limited to, Polypropylene (HPPP, RCPP & CPPP), Polyethylene (LDPE & HDPE), Nylon (PA66), TPE, EVA, and PVC. Operating from a 50,000 sq ft site in Exeter, they have over 30 injection moulding machines, 2 extrusion lines for flexible profiles and 1 extrusion line for rigid profile.
Savings of 81% with 6-8 months ROI
Millpac production runs 24h a day and all the excess plastic that is accumulated during the part making process is re-granulated so the plastic can be recycled, these Granulators can be left idling for hours with no produce going through. This is where our client stepped in to help optimise the amount of energy used, 8 Integra units were fitted to the 8 granulators.
- Provide a smooth mechanical start
- Save energy when the Granulators were running
- Intelligently Switch the Granulators ON and Off
- If the Granulators are sat idling for a period of time the Integra units simply switch them off
- The Integra units will then keep the motors off until and operator is detected
An added benefit was noticed by the production operators within a week of the installation, the overall noise levels in the facility dropped dramatically. Millpac will also gain from the massive reduction in the KVAR, currently there is no Power Factor Correction installed.
Test conditions (off load)
- Current: Triphasic (A) 51%
- Power: Triphasic + (kW) 46%
- Power L: Triphasic (kvar) 70%
Test conditions (loading analysis)
Over a 30 day period
- Costs of running with No Integra = £109.00
- Cost of running with Integra = £60.00
- Cost of running with Integra switching motor off 2/3 of the time = £20.00
- Saving Percentage 81%